11.18.2011

Be Better.

This should be a pretty short post, but it's something that has come to mean a lot to me in the past week probably so. I was out training with John Conway in Hammond, Indiana, pretty late in the night. We were warming up. I had just finished getting my joints mobilized, and began to run next. My only goal at that moment was to get my heart rate up and, if possible, get my hands warmer through the warm blood flow the running would create. That run started just like any other. I'm not much of a runner... I was huffing and puffing after the first lap (1/4 mile). Unimpressed with myself, I continued and threw in some variations that pkgen event-goers would find familiar.

Before I knew it, I had done 4 laps... about 1 mile. Now I know this doesn't impress anyone, but I'm not out to impress. It's been years since I ran a full mile non-stop. The last time I attempted it, I didn't have it in me and had to give up around lap 3. This was before I started parkour. With the confidence and persistence I've gained from my training, I kept pushing. I did 4 more laps without stopping. When I was done, my breathing was normal and my legs felt great! I had raised the bar for myself; I felt real accomplishment.
There was one thing I kept repeating to myself in my head during that run: "There's only one way to get better. BE better."

No comments:

Post a Comment